Monday 4 August 2014

The Pie-thagorean Theorem.

At the beginning of 2014, I promised myself that I would blog regularly (amongst other things, of course. Like eating healthy, working out, losing weight, crafting more, getting back to music classes, etc.). Sadly, I have barely done any of these and I am unable to accept that it's already August now. 

I am yet to come in terms with how fast the year has gone by.  Life has changed a whole lot since my last blog post and for good. So, I am not really complaining.

Anyway, the reason I am here today is because of a pie. A pie that has changed my life. Ok, I'm actually just being dramatic. But this pie, it is something you have just got to try. 

It is so easy to make and tastes like heaven.I mean, it really is THAT good, ok? Ok. And it has been my best baking experiment to date, hands down! 



You will need:

For the filling:
5 firm apples, peeled & cubed (soak in water to prevent discoloration)
1.5 tsp cinnamon powder
1 cup sugar
Juice of one big lemon

For the crust:
2.5 cups all purpose flour
200 grams butter (cut into cubes)
1/2-3/4 cup water
1 tsp salt
1.5 tbs sugar

Method:

Take a large bowl and mix the flour,salt, sugar. Add the cubed butter to this and rub the flour mixture against the butter till small lumps form.

Continue doing it until the mixture reaches a bread crumb-y texture. Now, slowly add water, a little at a time and make a dough.
Bread crumb-y texture. Add water only after you achieve this.

 Divide the dough into two parts, cover one part with cling firm and refrigerate for 15-30 minutes. 

Meanwhile, in another big bowl combine the cubed apples, cinnamon, sugar and lemon juice and mix thoroughly so that each piece is coated with the dressing. Set aside.

On a clean, floured surface, roll the other half of the dough into a large circle or rectangle and cut strips of equal width. Roll the refrigerated dough to a nice, big circle (at least 2 inches more in diameter than the baking dish you plan to use) 

Layer the baking dish neatly with this dough and cut off the excess dough from the sides. 

Now pour the apple filling on top and use the dough strips to cover the top in a criss-cross pattern. Seal the edges with the dough used for base of the pie and sprinkle some cinnamon on top.


Not bad at all, for a first timer. *smug look*


Glaze the top with some milk using a brush and bake it in a pre-heated oven at 200*c for 40-45 minutes.

In to the oven it goes.

This time may vary depending on the microwave/oven you may use. Hence please ensure you do not let it get burnt. 

Although the number of steps mentioned above may seem too much, trust me, it was really very simple to make and tastes absolutely divine. Oh, and the house smells like a dream. Apples and cinnamon are truly a match made in heaven. Sigh.

I made this last night and it's already almost over and everyone who has tasted it (husband and some 10 colleagues) have given me two thumbs-up! The crust was flaky, the filling - delicious. 



I hope you make this and enjoy the pie as much as we did and do let me know how it turns out if you try it! 

Here's to a great rest of the year and to more blogging (hopefully!).

Cheers! 
M


Notes:
1. I used this video as the guide to make flaky dough. It worked like magic. 
2. I did not cook the apple filling as done in some recipes, it still turned out really gooey and soft.
3. Forgive me for the awful caption. Thank you.

4 comments:

  1. Lovely ! Simply delicious ! Pies are always a favorite !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, thank you! :D
      I have loved pies too but never knew they were so easy to make. :)

      Delete
  2. Yum, YUM! (Channeling a new-found love for apple pie too! And my sisters introduced me to a super easy recipe for apple crumble, which was so fun. I would like to try baking a pie too, with the help of your post! Love it.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. love this, gonna have to try this soon.
    makes me hungry
    great blog!

    - http://angelaah91.blogspot.nl/

    ReplyDelete